RVR Separate Controller

Hello,
Is it OK to have a separate controller for the RVR or Spheros? We were thinking of utilizing a separate controller along with the Sphero Edu app.

Hi, I’m not sure if you’ve seen the game manual here. On page 36, 8.2.3c it states:

“Bluetooth between the RVR Loader and a Drive Team Member’s laptop or mobile
device.”

So assuming your solution meets those requirements we don’t see a problem with what you’re asking.

We were thinking of using a transmitter that meets the requirements in rule 8.2.3e:

“2.4GHz radio between the FCC’s receiver and a Drive Team Member’s transmitter”

Just wondering if it’s alright to have 2 transmitters on the field at the same time (not controlling the same vehicle, of course)?

8.2.3e states:

5.8GHz radio between the FPV transmitter and receiver.

and is in reference to the AVR drone since there is a FPV camera mounted on it. So I’m not entirely clear what your team is trying to do as I thought you were talking about the Sphero and RVR. Let me know and hopefully we can get this cleared up for you.

Sorry, I meant rule 8.2.3f.
Is this exclusive to the aerial vehicles or can it be used on the ground vehicles as well?

I believe that GioOC8 intends to use their laptop to control the RVR as well as another transmitter to activate a mechanism on the RVR, such as a servo. My team would also like to know if this is allowed, so clarification would be appreciated.

The controller we intend to use is a transmitter similar to the one provided with the AVR in order to control a mechanism, like a servo.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes a lot more sense. Okay let me chat with the team and we’ll have a final answer for you in the next day or two.

@GioOC8 @Shivam we are making an update to the AVR game manual to allow a separate 2.4GHz tx/rx combo for actuating a mechanism on the RVR.